Friday, November 05, 2010

6.15am
I read on WestCott House website about being prepared for Mission in unfamiliar contexts. p6

The Cross and the Tomb are empty and so in many ways we sacrifice ourselves in ministry. We empty ourselves in giving to other sacrificially and we give our selves to others in service but my thought lies in the less easily grasped realisation that after Jesus rose from the grave he was seen with people confirming the scriptures, sharing the bread and wine, meeting with friends and being present in their daily lives.

And so it is essential our ministry is not only self emptying. It is essential that our ministry is fulfilling, sharing, alive and real.

8.00am
today the readings of the lectionary communion service are taken from the passages of Phil 3 and Luke 16 ( i have gone for the whole passage as it spoke to me deeply)

As I read phil 3 i realised that it is by the Holy Spirit that we work for Christ and fulfill or are part of his ministry. So thus we must spend time being in and with the Holy Spirit and rest in the word and discover what Jesus is calling and saying to us this day that we might learn and be renewed. So our ministry is in the living God
who is touching, renewing and strengthening.
Then I see verse 10 of Phil 3
10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
somehow... somehow.....
and then the passage that has always spoken to me and I had forgotten when I pulled up the study in relation to my thoughts of earlier:
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

And on the side I just love Luke 16 such a spanner in the works!

No comments: