Friday, November 26, 2010

I am working my way through the final copy of the Anglican Covenant. My hypothesis based on reading it in the past and clips of it from other sites is that it uses language which enables it to become and be used very much for the interpretation of Scripture and Morality that those in the 'Chair' hold and also that it introduces theological terms and ideas that until now have not been written into religious legal forms and have been fought and argued over by no less than the men such as Eusebius et al.

So I decided as I work through it I will pull out things that I would like to think more about and discuss with others so that I can have a recorded and informed opinion that will hopefully be proved wrong on my worries and fear of this covenant having subtle and designed to allow control over what the Church of England adheres to and holds dear..... I do rather hope i am wrong and that all is well!

FIRST
(2.2.2.a) to proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom of God” and to bring all to repentance and faith
I question here that it is our role to bring all to repentance and faith. My concern is that if it is a role to bring people to repentance then we have to be sure of what they are repenting from.

Second2.2.2.e)
“to strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and to sustain and renew the life of the earth”
if we have to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth we are declaring here that integrity is our call. My concern is that the issue of sexuality will be on the agenda here.

No comments: